This discussion forum is for the 2015 Teen Intern Grantees. Please use this space to introduce yourself and your library, as well as share stories and resources with the other grantees.

Views: 490

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi! I'm at the Niles Public Library, just north of Chicago. We're planning to hire two interns to help with our summer reading program. Our theme this year is the CSLP "Every Hero Has A Story" and we'll be working to incorporate that into our game and programs with the interns' help. They'll also mentor the younger teen volunteers and help us with tracking stats.

Hi everyone,

The official press release announcing the recipients of the grant can be found here: http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2015/02/2015-summer-teen-int...

Feel free to adapt it for your own use.

Hi everyone,

I am at a library in Michigan, between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Last summer I used my voluTEENs to help with summer reading programs and other things at the library. I see the Summer Intern opportunity as a natural progression to what I started last year. They will be helping with summer reading--programs and registrations and also have expressed interest in creating booktalks and book trailers for our Tumblr page.

I am excited about the summer!

Hi! I'm from Homer Township Public Library, Homer Glen, IL.  We're planning on hiring 5 intern leaders to assist with this year's SRP.  This year's theme is Read to the Rhythm.  Teens will help plan, implement and evaluate programming.  Teens will gain leadership, teamwork, and project management experience. This project will be an introduction to the workforce where teens will learn the importance of dress code, timeliness, deadlines, and other important employee skills. Our goals are to introduce teens to the workforce and to make community leaders!

Hi,

I'm Joanna from the Ethelbert B. Crawford Public Library in Monticello, N.Y. I will hire one intern to help with the SRP. The intern will curate our teen blog, run a book discussion, learn about circulation, and at the end of the summer will help me evaluate the program.

Hello all!  I am Jan Bates of the Northumberland Public Library in rural tidewater VA.  I am very excited about our new Teen Intern program made possible by this grant.  I look forward to posting ideas and getting ideas as we progress....remembering that imitation is the highest form of flattery!  I am a retired reading teacher in my post retirement job of Coordinator of Children's Programs, and LOVING every minute of it. Our theme is also "Every Hero Has a Story".

Hello All,

I'm Emily Childress-Campbell from the Public Library of Johnston County and Smithfield (it's a mouthful!) in Smithfield, NC.  This year we will be hiring two teen summer interns.  One will be the Bilingual Children's Programming Intern and aid promoting and publicizing programming and library services to our Spanish-speaking community, and help with set up and preparation for children's programming. The other will be the Teen Programming intern who will help promote and plan the YA Summer Reading program, serve as mentor to the other teen volunteers and help plan the library lock in.  We have had a thriving teen summer volunteer program for the past several years and are so happy that we can take it to the next level with new teen interns.

Hi,

I'm Kim Farnsworth from the Madelyn Helling Library in Nevada City, CA. We are a rural community in the northern Sierra Nevada mountains (Gold Country!). There are not many summer jobs for teens here, so I am excited to be able to offer a paid internship.

We are doing the "Read to the Rhythm" theme and we will be hiring one intern. The intern will be learning valuable job skills as he or she is helping to run and evaluate our Summer Reading programs. I'm also planning to work as a mentor as they develop one event entirely, including budgeting.

Hello! My name is Alyssa Newton and I am the YA Librarian at the Onondaga Free Library in Syracuse, NY. We are thrilled to be hiring three teen interns this summer to support the marketing and programming efforts for our Summer Reading Program!

This summer my library will be expanding program offerings for upper-elementary and pre-teens (ages 8-12). The teen interns will help create programs for this age group and provide support during the programs, acting not only as helpers but also as a role models and “reading buddies” for the pre-teens that attend.

In addition, we will be using the grant funding for a special leadership workshop at the library, led by an outside organization called Team Adventure (www.teamadventurecny.com). Through games and fun activities the teens will learn important leadership skills such as teamwork and how to be positive role-models. The workshop is open to all teen in the community and the teen interns will be required to attend to learn the leadership skills that will transfer to their job responsibilities at the library.

Greetings! I am from the Troy Public Library, which is located in metro Detroit. Our intern will be working on marketing all of our programs and events, and consulting with me to make sure the program is appealing to a wide variety of young people! We are so lucky to have so many dedicated teen volunteers, it's going to be difficult to choose, but we are so happy to be able to offer this opportunity to them. 

This is Jennifer from the Great Bend Public Library in Great Bend, KS.

Our interns will be helping with marketing to their peers and learning some awesome graphic design skills for our print and online campaigns. They will also be helping run our various and plentiful programs throughout our Summer Library Program.

Hi, I'm at the Tuxedo Park Library in Orange County New York just a small commute north of NY city. For our Summer reading program we plan on hiring 2 interns with the YALSA grant. The interns will help oversee our Teen volunteer program as well as plan a program for children from start to finish ( including creating the PR). They will also have the opportunity to learn about the different roles the various staff play in the library as they will each shadow staff during their time here. The teens will get a real idea of the inner workings of the library and gain valuable real job experience.

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service