This space is intended for the 2016 Teen  Summer Intern grantees.

Tags: 2016

Views: 446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, my name is Patty Zion, and I'm the grant coordinator from Rebecca M. Arthurs Memorial Library in Brookville, Pennsylvania. We are thrilled to be approved for the Teen Intern Grant this year! We have had the grant previously and it is always a win-win situation. The teens are such a huge help, they get to learn new job skills, and the younger kids just love them. We are in a rural area of western PA -- lots of trees and wildlife, but not so many people! We call ourselves "The best little library at the top of the hill." I look forward to reading about what all the libraries do with the teen intern grant.

Hi Patty! I'm Donna Block, the grant coordinator at Niles Public Library in Niles, IL - just northwest of Chicago. We've also had the grant before. It's a great experience for the teens who we're able to hire and they've been a big help with our summer reading and lunch programs!

Hello- My name is Diane Pamel and I am the library director for the Southworth Library in Dryden.  We have had teen takeover programs for the past several summers and would like to ramp it up a bit. I love working with teens and am looking forward to giving our teen intern more responsibility and leverage in planning and implementing programming.  Now to find that perfect teen.....

Hello...I am Jan Bates, and I'm the Coordinator of Children's Programs at the Northumberland Public Library in Heathsville, VA.  We, too, are excited to be awarded the Teen Intern Grant for the second year.  Our experiences last summer made the Teen Intern Program a "must do" activity!    The teens we hired were very cooperative and energetic with lots of creative ideas to enhance our summer reading program.  We are in a very rural tidewater community in the Chesapeake Bay/Potomac River area of VA.  Employment opportunities for teens are limited at best.  I know this was a positive experience for the teens last summer, as they and other teens have inquired about our plans for this summer already.  I look forward to conversing with you over the coming months and sharing ideas/concerns/successes, etc.

Hello Patty....I know the Brockville area very well, as my father was from McGees Mills, PA near Punxsutawney, PA, and my grandmother taught history at the high school serving Brookville MANY years ago!  Virginia is much warmer with a LOT less snow!

Patty Zion said:

Hi, my name is Patty Zion, and I'm the grant coordinator from Rebecca M. Arthurs Memorial Library in Brookville, Pennsylvania. We are thrilled to be approved for the Teen Intern Grant this year! We have had the grant previously and it is always a win-win situation. The teens are such a huge help, they get to learn new job skills, and the younger kids just love them. We are in a rural area of western PA -- lots of trees and wildlife, but not so many people! We call ourselves "The best little library at the top of the hill." I look forward to reading about what all the libraries do with the teen intern grant.

Meant to say Brockville....typo!

Julianne Bates said:

Hello Patty....I know the Brockville area very well, as my father was from McGees Mills, PA near Punxsutawney, PA, and my grandmother taught history at the high school serving Brookville MANY years ago!  Virginia is much warmer with a LOT less snow!

Patty Zion said:

EEEGADS....BROOKVILLE!

Julianne Bates said:

Julianne Bates said:

Patty Zion said:

Actually it is Brookville, LOL. I know exactly where McGees Mills is. If you ever come to this area, but sure to stop in at the library and say hi. Yes, Virginia no doubt has a more pleasant climate. Nice to "meet" you!

Julianne Bates said:

EEEGADS....BROOKVILLE!

Julianne Bates said:

Julianne Bates said:

Patty Zion said:

FYI...My great great grandfather built the covered bridge at McGees Mills and the big white house next to the railroad tracks was the family home.  I think it's in a sad state of repair now that all our family is gone. I still have a few relatives there, but most have deceased, as I am almost 70 myself, but I don't feel it!  Nice chatting.  Never know if I'll get there again....my daughter lives in Eastern PA near Allentown/Bethlehem. 

Patty Zion said:

Actually it is Brookville, LOL. I know exactly where McGees Mills is. If you ever come to this area, but sure to stop in at the library and say hi. Yes, Virginia no doubt has a more pleasant climate. Nice to "meet" you!

Julianne Bates said:

EEEGADS....BROOKVILLE!

Julianne Bates said:

Julianne Bates said:

Patty Zion said:

Hello!   I'm Siobhan McCann and I'm the grant coordinator from Perry Public Library in Perry, Ohio.  We are a small rural library east of Cleveland.  I am very excited about being awarded the Teen Intern Grant! I feel this will be a great opportunity for a couple of teens this summer to start working on and developing real job skills. Their experience will also look great on college/university applications!  I'm currently tweaking the application for the intern position and hope to start sending out the applications next week to area high schools and churches.  I look forward to hearing from all of you over the course of the summer!

Hi, I'm Holly Summers-Gil and I'm overseeing the grant for Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.  As a past recipient, we are looking forward to new ways that we can make this project a success.  This grant has allowed us to expand our volunteer opportunities to teens, in which everyone in the community benefits from. Every year, we learn something new and we are honored to participate this year.  We are excited to connect with other libraries and hear everyone's ideas.  Talk to you soon! 

For those of you who have used this grant before, I would love to hear how you recruit your teen helpers.  I want to be able to provide some job readiness skill training but want to get the right hire...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service