[Grantees] 2017 Summer Learning Resource Grantee Space

This space is intended for the 2017 Summer Learning Resource grantees.

Views: 389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Director: Ricky Statham

Assistant Director: Kay Butts

Staff:

Virginia Dickie

Pam Guin

Amy Woods

Sara Adamson

Cassandra Brindle

Board of Trustees:

Carl Frey, Chairman

Dixie Daily

Amanda White

Gary Reid

Sharon Breaseale

The mission of the Oneonta Public Library is to provide the highest quality public library service that will effectively contribute to the enrichment of all residents of the community. The library is to guarantee the community a free and easy access to recorded information within the limitations of space and budget. The responsibility of the library is to satisfy the diverse reading needs and interests of the resident of the community through the selection, acquisition, organization and preservation of library materials and to provide skilled guidance in their use.

In response to advances in technology, the Oneonta Public Library is endeavoring to develop resources and services that meet the informational, recreational, and educational needs of the community. It is within this context that the Library provides computers for personal use and for Internet access.

The Library strives to supply sources of information in all fields of knowledge and to promote and encourage maximum and effective use of library’s materials and service. Great efforts will be made to support the educational, civic, and cultural activities of groups and organizations whose aims are compatible with those of the library.

This is a photo of my library, I have worked here for almost 8 years as the Youth Librarian. We are a minority-majority town of around 13,000. Last year, sadly, we went from serving our County to losing funding and being cut back to serving just our city limits. Our library is a place for all avenues of entertainment in our community. We are the community center, the movie theater, the after school fun stop, the library (of course) and so much more. With 21% of our population residing in poverty, we strive for reaching out and helping where we can.

MISSION STATEMENT:  "The South Sioux City Public Library is an innovative and responsive community center that supports cultural programming, lifelong learning, literacy, and open access to the world of information and ideas, with a staff committed to excellence and personal service."  

This is the Southworth Library in Dryden, New York.  One of our claims to fame is that in 2009 we sold a handwritten manuscript that was given to the library in the early 1900s by the Dwight family.  It was a copy of Lincoln's victory speech in 1864 and it brought the library a record 3.25 million dollars in a sale at a Christie's auction. About half was used for our sorely needed addition.  We are still sort of small stuff (~6000 square feet) but it really amped up our game. I had just finished my MLS and went right into the building project.  Loads of fun!  I have a very small, but completely supportive staff so we get a lot done. Our community is rural but only 20 miles or so from Cornell University in Ithaca, so our patrons want all the advantages of urban(ish) libraries on a very small budget.  Makes things challenging- in a good way. I look forward to learning from all of you through this forum- Diane Pamel, Library Director 

my library: www.southworthlibrary.org

Greeting from Whiting, Indiana!  My name is Montserrat Inglada and I have been the Youth Services Librarian at the Whiting Public Library for the past 9 years.  I love working with kids and about three years ago I completed my MSL.

The Whiting Public Library has been around since 1906 and it has served as the heart of our small community for over 100 years.  Our community is diverse and ever changing, unfortunately the changes have not been good ones with more businesses closing and a great deal of our community falling below the poverty line.  Our community resources are very limited, but our library is always looking for ways to help.  We strive to do our best to inform, educate, entertain and culturally enrich the entire community by providing books, services and other materials free for all to use.

Mission Statement
The mission statement of the Whiting Public Library is to provide all citizens of the community with library services of the highest quality, to meet ever-changing needs for education, cultural and recreational information and to promote literacy and to foster a love of life-long learning.

I LOVE your building!  THese old beautiful places certainly have their challenges (technology etc) but are so wonderful to be a part of--diane

Montserrat Inglada said:

Greeting from Whiting, Indiana!  My name is Montserrat Inglada and I have been the Youth Services Librarian at the Whiting Public Library for the past 9 years.  I love working with kids and about three years ago I completed my MSL.

The Whiting Public Library has been around since 1906 and it has served as the heart of our small community for over 100 years.  Our community is diverse and ever changing, unfortunately the changes have not been good ones with more businesses closing and a great deal of our community falling below the poverty line.  Our community resources are very limited, but our library is always looking for ways to help.  We strive to do our best to inform, educate, entertain and culturally enrich the entire community by providing books, services and other materials free for all to use.

Mission Statement
The mission statement of the Whiting Public Library is to provide all citizens of the community with library services of the highest quality, to meet ever-changing needs for education, cultural and recreational information and to promote literacy and to foster a love of life-long learning.

Hello All!  I am the Young Adult Librarian at the Henry Carter Hull Library in Clinton Connecticut. We are a very diverse community of 13,000 along the Central Connecticut shoreline. The mission of the Henry Carter Hull Library is to provide an inviting and dynamic environment, where all members of our community may discover both information and inspiration.

It is a tough time in Connecticut for Libraries.  We are all facing budget cuts and are very grateful to receive this grant for our summer learning programs.  We are looking forward our new Maker Space which we are calling the Idea Center, and are using some of the grant to fund exciting technology for teens to develop creativity and social skills.

I look forward to sharing and learning with all of you!  Here is a photo of my library.

Cathleen

Good afternoon all.  My name is Holly and I am the Teen Services Coordinator at Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, and we are very happy to be participating in this program again this year.  Pictured below is ImaginOn: The Joe and Joan Martin Center, which is our flagship branch for Youth Services in the system.  Our teen volunteer initiative has been very popular over the years and is embraced by our community, as it helps to equip teens with vital workforce development skills.  The YALSA/Dollar General Teen Summer Intern grant allows us to create a specialized opportunity for a select few to take their volunteer experience to the next level.  I am looking forward to hearing your ideas, and working virtually with all of you this summer.

Hello from The Park Hill High School Library here in Kansas City, Missouri, where the school library serves a student population of 2000 students. As a certified English teacher, with a Bachelor's in English, and a Master's in Library Science I am passionate about the work I do everyday in collaborative lessons with teachers across all curriculum areas. I also enjoy the work I do to promote and sustain a collection of materials that meet the interests and academic needs of a diverse population of students. In all of these efforts my main goal is to elevate the literacy levels of all students!

As a recipient of The Summer Learning Grant, I plan to focus on a program that will facilitate improved literacy, communication and socialization skills of our English Language Learners through increased access to appropriate reading level resources and a summer book club. I am collaborating with the ELL teachers in this project and they are very grateful for this grant to help their students succeed. 

Love all the photos of the beautiful libraries! I collaborate with the youth librarians at our public system, Mid-Continent Public Libraries,  and teach my students that using their public library is a lifelong resource to be utilized now and after high school!

Thank you Diane.  I love our library as well, but as you said older buildings can be challenging especially when it comes to the Wi Fi and space issues! 

Diane Pamel said:

I LOVE your building!  THese old beautiful places certainly have their challenges (technology etc) but are so wonderful to be a part of--diane

Montserrat Inglada said:

Mission Statement

Hi Everyone,

I'm Jesse, and I'm the Teen Librarian at the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach. With a population of 100,000, West Palm Beach is one of the largest cities in South Florida. Our mission and vision are below. Recently, we've had success with a robotics program and a Girls Who Code Club. We're very grateful for the Teen Intern Grant because it enables us to have similar programming over the summer. The teen intern will be helping with our RaspberryPis, computing programs and arts projects.

Mission

Creating inspired lives by connecting people with information and ideas.

Vision

Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach reaches out to inspire, inform and create a delightful quality of life.

By...

• Encouraging a love of books and reading
  • Providing an expanded and enhanced collection of books, music, movies and digital resources
  • Serving as a community gathering and meeting space
  • Supporting businesses, families, job seekers, veterans and economic development
  • Providing cost-effective services and resources
  • Nourishing and inspiring the City’s diverse population
  • Providing information and self-development opportunities
  • Connecting people with the newest technologies
  • Providing exceptional customer service.

Hello, my name is Diane and I am the Youth Services Librarian at the S.W. Smith Memorial Public Library in Port Allegany, PA.  I have been with the library since January 2016.  I have a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and am certified to teach Elementary Education. 

Our library is small and serves a rural community of 3,000 people in an economically depressed area. The library has seen many changes in the last two years with a new Director and myself.  We are trying to reenvision the library and its programs.   There has been success in many areas, but our teen attendance is very minimal--like 4.  We are hoping with this generous grant we can purchase STEM kits and technology based equipment to supplement our teen programming events to make the library appealing to more teen patrons. 

I’m looking forward to sharing ideas and learning from all of you!  My strength is with younger children, so your ideas and input on teen programming will be a great resource for me! 

Here is the link to the library www.swsmithlibrary.org

This is the Pemberton Community Library in Browns Mills, NJ, a branch of the Burlington County Library System. This is the location the grant resources will be benefiting.

Burlington County Library System's Mission Statement: "The mission of the Burlington County Library System is to enrich lives by providing opportunities for learning, growth and personal development."

BCLS Director: Ranjna Das

Assistant Director: Heather Andolsen

Branch Manager of Pemberton Community Library: Paula Manzella

My name is Theresa Preziosa and I'm the Youth Services Librarian at the Pemberton location and will be managing a Teen Summer Reading Book Club for students attending the local high school weekly during the summer so they will finish the required One Book One School reading assignment before the next school year.

We will also be having SAT Prep courses scheduled weekly during the summer for local teens to prepare and improve test taking skills before taking the SAT (or any similar test).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service