[Grantees] 2017 Summer Learning Resource Grantee Space

This space is intended for the 2017 Summer Learning Resource grantees.

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tucked away in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and located on the Upper Cumberland Plateau, Jackson is one of Tennessee’s oldest counties.  With a current population of just over 11,600, the Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library is the vibrant center of the Gainesboro community for self-education, civic engagement, entertainment and educational enrichment, and as a physical destination for individual information gathering and recreation. The Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library makes ideas and information accessible for people of all ages, educational, and economical backgrounds in Gainesboro and surrounding communities by providing a variety of information delivery formats for recreational, intellectual, cultural, educational, and occupational purposes.  Furthermore, it is the library’s mission to provide a full array of sufficiently “state of the art” technological resources to meet the needs of Gainesboro’s residents and visitor’s, upon whom much of the economy depends.

Hello, my Name is Kathrine Chalman, and I’ve served as director of the Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library since July 2015, having recently earned my Masters of Information Science from the University of Tennessee. I’ve started a number of library programs for teens this year including a ‘Teen Board Game Night’ and ‘Young Adult Book Club’. I recently taught a basic coding course at the local high school and am eager to share ideas and learn new programming methods. The grant funding will be used to incorporate more STEAM learning in the library by catering to teens wanting to learn coding (which has been proven to stimulate students and help improve math scores), Makerspace activities, science experiments, tutoring students, and preparing them for the ACT examination and college entrance exams in the fall. The Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library will continue after its regular teen summer reading program with a 'Teaching Teens' program through the month of July that will cater to instruction of different skill sets and having the use of a variety of hands on resources provided in-house and online by the Tennessee Electronic Library. Reading comprehension and English will also be indoctrinated into the Young Adult Book Club's summer activities and focus.

Check us out at:  www.crhmlibrary.com

Hi Everybody - 

I'm coming to you from Kokomo, Indiana, home of the lovely Kokomo-Howard County Public library, where we believe in:

Vision Statement: The library is a vital component in an engaged and thriving community.

Mission Statement: We create opportunities for our community to become its best.

Tagline: Explore Your Opportunities

I would describe myself as an aggressively unfancy information ninja, specializing in reference, teen programming, & technology assistance.

I'm so excited to be a part of the Summer Learning Grant, as well as interacted with all of my fellow grantees.  

Check out my library's website to get a glimpse of all we do...  www.khcpl.org 

Hey back!  Your Discover Tech program looks amazing-  Congratulations!

Diane- Southworth Library Dryden NY

Thanks!  Yeah, it's been a big deal for our little city... we've had lots of fun STEM activities going on.  

Diane Pamel said:

Hey back!  Your Discover Tech program looks amazing-  Congratulations!

Diane- Southworth Library Dryden NY

Hi! My name is Kelsey Fitzgerald and I am the Youth Librarian for Ozark Regional Library.  We have 7 branches in our system and I am the only Youth Services employee for all of them.  Therefore, I have posted a picture of my library van, since I almost spend more time in it, traveling from branch to branch, than I do in my office.  Our Headquarters is located in Ironton, Missouri.  I have been the Youth Librarian since September 2016.  Throughout our branches, we serve approximately 47,000 people, but Ironton has only 1,600 people.  My goal with this grant is to provide the teens with books they can keep and programming they can attend to keep them busy during the summer.  This community has a low socio-economic status so I want to get a book into the hands of every teen that walks through the door, as well as give them a safe, air-conditioned place to hang out, with fun and educational programs.  

Hi Everyone,

My name is Laurie Bartz, Young Adult Librarian at Hedberg Public Library in Janesville, WI. Janesville has a population of approximately 64,000. This is our library's mission:

• Providing a welcoming and accommodating environment
  • Building and maintaining diverse and useful collections
  • Maximizing access to information and materials
  • Creating partnerships throughout the community
  • Meeting and exceeding expectations of those we serve

We are excited to have an internship program for the first time! Interns will help plan and carry out our summer library program and gather teen input for our library's interior Transformation project that will include an expanded teen space and adjoining area for activities and tech-related programs. 

I look forward to participating and following discussions in this space.   

Hello everyone...

My name is Phil Schaller and I am the Adult/Teen Librarian here at the Putnam County Library system in Cookeville, TN. Cookeville is a wonderful town on I-40 almost directly in between Nashville and Knoxville in the beautiful Cumberland Plateau of Middle Tennessee. We have a major University here (Tennessee Tech University) and have recently been classified as a Micropolitan center. We serve some very rural and poor communities here in Putnam County and strive to do the best we can with what we have for them (hence our need for grants). Below is a copy of our mission statement and a picture of the front of our library. Sadly its an old building, from 1973, but it's hardy and keeps all our stuff in one spot....

Mission statement: "The library system's mission is to provide free services to all residents. Library materials reflect a broad diversity of format and opinion, assuring that individuals may select freely from a wide variety of items. Patron requests and records are kept confidential under state law."

Hello!!

My name Rachel Robinson and I am the Teen Librarian at Northampton Area Public Library.  We are located in (you guessed it) Northampton, PA.  We service a 90 square mile mostly rural school district.  We are in the Bermuda triangle of the Poconos, Philly and NYC :)

I plan on doing a Community Garden, a large Rube Goldberg Machine and stop-motion animation workshop with my teens this year (among other programs), all thanks to this grant and my crazy ambition.o.O

I look forward to seeing everyone's ideas and program successes!

Maria Meachum – Library Director
Tricia Dean – Cataloging Services Coordinator
Carolyn Healy – Adult Services Manager
Jenn Matters – Youth Services Manager
Lisa Butler – Circulation Services Manager
Mindy Solomon-Olivieri – Adult Services Assistant
Savannah Pleiter- Youth Services Assistant
Jenny Parsons – Administrative Assistant
Myrna Schultz – Cataloging Services Assistant
Theresa Welegala, Michelle Arnold, Lucy Ganno, Shana Flynn, Tammy Watson, Stephanie Beasley, – Circulation Assistants
Erin Pigott, Cherokee Rutherford – Pages

Mission Statement

Our mission is to provide access to information, ideas, and cultural opportunities essential to a literate and educated society and to provide a welcoming environment where people can seek out and explore all library resources without barriers.

Community

The city of Wilmington is located on the Kankakee River. The population is 5132. Wilmington is located southwest of Chicago between Joliet and Kankakee and is known as ‘the Island City”.

The Wilmington Public Library District patron base is 9229. The district encompasses all of Wilmington and Florence Townships and the majority of Wesley Township. The library is located at 201 S Kankakee St, Wilmington IL, 60481.

Wilmington School District #209-U serves the students of Wilmington in grades kindergarten through high school.

Points of interest in Wilmington include Des Plaines State Fish and Wildlife Area, Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Antique stores, a variety of restaurants, shopping and entertainment opportunities, including bowling and a movie theatre.

Today is the big day here at Oneonta Public Library. I have one staff member that has been working with the Makey Makey to come up with a presentation for the teens. I have taken point on the Cubelets, so I can explain what Cubelets are and how they work. After researching what each Cubelet does, I created a word document that has a picture of each Cubelet and their function. I just googled Cubelets, and I stumbled upon a page that walks you through how to build different robots, and what they are called. I believe this program is going to be amazing for the teens. If you were to walk in the library today, you would see Cassandra inserting push pins into aluminum foil, forming play doh arrows, and coming up with some cool activities for tonight. My desk looks like robots have landed and invaded the library. I hope all of your programs are going well, and I look forward to sharing the success (fingers crossed) of our program. Without DG and YALSA, this would not have been possible.

I recently saw someone with a stop animation camera, but they didn't have time to demo it. We went with Two Makey Makeys, Two sets of Cubelets, and Two Wonder Bots. I have always been fascinated with stop animation though.

Rachel Robinson said:

Hello!!

My name Rachel Robinson and I am the Teen Librarian at Northampton Area Public Library.  We are located in (you guessed it) Northampton, PA.  We service a 90 square mile mostly rural school district.  We are in the Bermuda triangle of the Poconos, Philly and NYC :)

I plan on doing a Community Garden, a large Rube Goldberg Machine and stop-motion animation workshop with my teens this year (among other programs), all thanks to this grant and my crazy ambition.o.O

We have access to iPads so we will be using a stop motion animation app.  I've been looking at Smoovie and iMotion.  I picked up some tripod adapters for the iPads.  Dollhouse furniture, miniatures, paper... whatever they want to use.  Should be a good time.

Ricky L Statham Jr said:

I recently saw someone with a stop animation camera, but they didn't have time to demo it. We went with Two Makey Makeys, Two sets of Cubelets, and Two Wonder Bots. I have always been fascinated with stop animation though.

Rachel Robinson said:

Hello!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service