This space is intended for the 2017 Teen Summer Intern grantees.

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone! I'm Stacy Pasche from Benzie Shores District Library in Frankfort, MI. This is our first year using teen interns and I'm excited and admittedly nervous. The local jr/sr high school guidance counselor is going to help me recruit interns and will sit in on the interviews in two weeks. I am wondering if anyone has any specific interview questions they found helpful in the selection process.

Hello- I am Diane Pamel from Southworth Library in Dryden NY (upstate near Syracuse & Ithaca)

I am gearing up for my summer learning for teens and I noticed that we are tracking YA circulation for ALA reporting.  Does anyone else have teens that are checking out adult or children's materials (it depends on how things are cataloged here).  Any advice? Maybe just try to track teen cards?

Of course, part of our goal is to reach the non typical readers as well.  Our summer 'reading; is going with time spent reading- including facebook posts and cereal boxes~

thanks- Diane

Hello, I'm Stacy Tiller form Spencer County Public Library, KY.  This is our first year using interns.  Things are starting to settle down, everyone is registered, prizes are bought and performers are hired.  Now to catch up with the paper work.  We had "how to apply for a job" workshops for the teen's, some of the teens attended every week while others missed a few.  KentuckianaWorks did our interviews for us.  We ended up hiring five.  It hasn't been exactly as I planned but the teens are learning, they now realize there is a lot of work done behind the scenes.     

They asked questions that the teens would hear in almost any interview.  "What do you know about our organization?"  What qualifications do you have for this job?"  What is your greatest strength?"  We also gave them a test on Dewey Decimal system and alphabetical order.

Stacy Pasche said:

Hi everyone! I'm Stacy Pasche from Benzie Shores District Library in Frankfort, MI. This is our first year using teen interns and I'm excited and admittedly nervous. The local jr/sr high school guidance counselor is going to help me recruit interns and will sit in on the interviews in two weeks. I am wondering if anyone has any specific interview questions they found helpful in the selection process.

I like the idea of tracking teen cards but then what about the parents that check books out one their cards for teens.  I'm thinking maybe a combination of both books and cards?  Sounds like hands on work, more than just printing a report.  We have a smaller Library, with under 9000 patrons  I can't imagine larger libraries trying to track.  Maybe a tally chart at the desk.  Then there are E books too. 

Diane Pamel said:

Hello- I am Diane Pamel from Southworth Library in Dryden NY (upstate near Syracuse & Ithaca)

I am gearing up for my summer learning for teens and I noticed that we are tracking YA circulation for ALA reporting.  Does anyone else have teens that are checking out adult or children's materials (it depends on how things are cataloged here).  Any advice? Maybe just try to track teen cards?

Of course, part of our goal is to reach the non typical readers as well.  Our summer 'reading; is going with time spent reading- including facebook posts and cereal boxes~

thanks- Diane

Our interns made the local paper! We hope to follow up with another story at the end of the summer. 

Hi Grantees,

In case anyone was wanting to access the intern certificates and having trouble, It's attached here. Sorry about the issues!

Attachments:

Hello! I'm Shannon O'Connor from the Edith B Ford Memorial Library in Ovid, NY. We have selected our intern, and are happy with our decision! 

Hi!  I'm Sonya Harsha from Algona Public Library in Algona, IA.  We are in the middle of a very busy summer reading program.  We have close to 600 young people ages birth to 18 participating this summer.  We love having a summer reading intern.  She has been busy helping with programs, doing prep work for crafts, creating posters, shelving books, and all of the other things that help keep the youth area running smoothly.  I'm also excited about the skills that she has been able to practice because of being in the intern position.  Simple things like knowing how to answer a phone professionally.  I've seen her display an insecurity with a task, and then be successful in the task.  These are the reasons that we do this.  We get to help young people grow and become confident adults.

Hi!  I am Diane Pamel from Southworth Library in a rural(ish) community in upstate New York.  I split the funds to provide for two interns.  Both are just 14 years old.  They both interviewed well when we went through the process and seemed raring to go.  One of them is a great employee- on the ball, understands what to do and asks questions when she doesn't  The other one does not seem to 'get it'.  I have to explain things very carefully and follow up on her quite a bit which in our busy summer can be a bit disheartening. Any advice on how to help her better organize her time and her attitude? Has anyone else had to deal with a less than enthusiastic helper?  I hate to be negative but want her to get something out of the summer.

I also had some kids that I did not think were working hard enough.  One of them did much better when I spoke to him right before a task and explained what was needed and gave extra tips on how to succeed.  Sometimes he would get confused when I would say things like "in the box under my desk" but did better when I showed him the box under my desk.  The other boy did better when I stopped asking him to work with the patrons.  His strength was in working alone, so as long as I had him doing solitary task he did fine.  The one girl lost interest in work quickly.  I tried making a joke with her to get her to work,  tried asking nicely and not so nicely, nothing worked and she ended up not very happy with us.  What helped me with the process was to remember that this was an internship and they were here to learn, not to be employees.  It also help to repeat in my head that I was not paying them.   

I cannot believe it is already August! We're in summer "survival" mode here, trying to keep up with the increased traffic in the library. Our interns have certainly helped to keep us afloat. I wanted to share an article from our local paper about the program.

Cheers!

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service