[Grantees] 2018 Summer Learning Resource Grantee Space

This space is intended for the 2018 Summer Learning Resource grantees.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was wondering where they are listing the winners of the 2018 Summer Learning Resource Grant.

Does anyone know?  I haven't received my links or notes on the phone conference.  If anyone has them please forward me a copy at Kelly@tcpls.org

Thank you,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I have forwarded the email with the notes in it to you. It should be coming from hevans@marion-lib.org.

Thanks,

Holly

Kelly D. Dennison said:

I was wondering where they are listing the winners of the 2018 Summer Learning Resource Grant.

Does anyone know?  I haven't received my links or notes on the phone conference.  If anyone has them please forward me a copy at Kelly@tcpls.org

Thank you,

Kelly

Hello All,

My name is Holly Evans, and I am the Youth Services Librarian for the Marion County Library System. In my position, I work with the youth services departments at each of our three branches and on the bookmobile. Though most of my time is spent at the system's main branch, the Marion County Public Library, our greatest need is on the bookmobile. Recently, we have noticed that our patron base for bookmobile services is declining, especially at the low income housing areas we visit. In response to the decline, we really want to revamp our services. Currently, the bookmobile (due to our county being very rural and spread out) is used as more of a door-to-door service. However, the goal is to provide programming from the bookmobile, in areas where we are able to park and reach several people at once, so that patrons can have a more complete library experience. Additionally, the library does not get many teen patrons, and this is also something we would like to change.

So, for our Summer Learning Resource Grant project, we are going to take the bookmobile to each of the low income communities in our areas once a month for special, on-site programming that will introduce the children to what the library has to offer. For instance, one month, we plan on doing a "library taste testing" program in which we will show the kids the different types of programs and services available at the library. 

I look forward to hearing what each of you have planned!

Thanks,

Holly

P.S. - Here is a picture of our bookmobile:

Here is a picture of the Marion County Public Library: 

Hi! My name is Crystal Librarian and I'm the children's and youth services coordinator at the Bath County Memorial Library in Bath County, KY. I'm working on creating teen programming because we've never had anything before. This year I have had the opportunity to get into the public high school and run a book club with teens there and through them I found out how much they love to bullet journal. I'm going to use this SLP grant to combine their love of this form of journalling with their love fiction and we're going to bullet journal our way through Playlist for the Dead by Michelle Falkoff. I'm also going to use this to teach the teens self care techniques, mental health awareness, and empathy. Our county is very rural, stereotypical Appalachia and "mental health" is a bad word, so I hope to break some of those barriers to get teens the services and resources they need. 

I look forward to reading about what the rest of you all doing in your libraries this summer! 

Hi, everyone!

I'm Liz, the Teen Librarian for Dover Public Library in Dover, Ohio. We're a small community with a growing Spanish-speaking population. We are trying to grow our Spanish resources to help this community learn English and to help others learn Spanish. With grant funds, we are going to purchase several Kindle Fires that will run programs like Duolingo, other multimedia language learning resources, and bilingual and vocabulary-centered board games. We're planning weekly events for the Teens this summer to connect English and Spanish speaking teens at game days, an anime mini-con, craft days, and more. 

I love everyone's ideas so far! I look forward to hearing updates from everyone. :)

Hi Crystal,

That sounds like a great idea! When I started in Marion, there were only a few teen programs a year, and I have also been trying to work on building them up. I have not gotten into the local high schools yet, but that sounds like an excellent idea. I will have to try it. Do you go after school, before, or during the day?

Thanks,

Holly

Crystal Laiben said:

Hi! My name is Crystal Librarian and I'm the children's and youth services coordinator at the Bath County Memorial Library in Bath County, KY. I'm working on creating teen programming because we've never had anything before. This year I have had the opportunity to get into the public high school and run a book club with teens there and through them I found out how much they love to bullet journal. I'm going to use this SLP grant to combine their love of this form of journalling with their love fiction and we're going to bullet journal our way through Playlist for the Dead by Michelle Falkoff. I'm also going to use this to teach the teens self care techniques, mental health awareness, and empathy. Our county is very rural, stereotypical Appalachia and "mental health" is a bad word, so I hope to break some of those barriers to get teens the services and resources they need. 

I look forward to reading about what the rest of you all doing in your libraries this summer! 

Hi Elizabeth,

I love that your idea incorporates technology and gaming! It sounds like a fantastic way to accomplish your goal, and I can't wait to hear how it turns out and what apps you use!

Thanks,

Holly

Elizabeth Strauss said:

Hi, everyone!

I'm Liz, the Teen Librarian for Dover Public Library in Dover, Ohio. We're a small community with a growing Spanish-speaking population. We are trying to grow our Spanish resources to help this community learn English and to help others learn Spanish. With grant funds, we are going to purchase several Kindle Fires that will run programs like Duolingo, other multimedia language learning resources, and bilingual and vocabulary-centered board games. We're planning weekly events for the Teens this summer to connect English and Spanish speaking teens at game days, an anime mini-con, craft days, and more. 

I love everyone's ideas so far! I look forward to hearing updates from everyone. :)

Holly, 

I have cultivated a relationship with librarian at the high school -- I was told if I bring food, they'll listen. LOL so I brought her donuts one morning and we chatted. We hit it off and she loved my ideas so now the book club I run at the high school meets every Monday morning during their home room time (8:05-8:45 am). They have to sign up for the club (each month the school librarian starts a new sign up list) and their homeroom teacher dismisses them after attendance. The secretary announces it over the intercom during morning announcements also, in case teachers forget. We've just started a teen advisory council that formed out of this group. They meet the first and third Friday at the public library after school. There is a school bus that drops off at the library, so that helps get them here! 

Holly Evans said:

Hi Crystal,

That sounds like a great idea! When I started in Marion, there were only a few teen programs a year, and I have also been trying to work on building them up. I have not gotten into the local high schools yet, but that sounds like an excellent idea. I will have to try it. Do you go after school, before, or during the day?

Thanks,

Holly

Crystal Laiben said:

Crystal, that is Awesome collaboration with the schools! I may have to steal that idea - donuts and all. ;) 

Go right ahead and steal it! If you have questions about what we do each week, I'm happy to elaborate! 

Did the bus always drop off at the library, or is that something that evolved from your activity in the library?

Crystal Laiben said:

Holly, 

I have cultivated a relationship with librarian at the high school -- I was told if I bring food, they'll listen. LOL so I brought her donuts one morning and we chatted. We hit it off and she loved my ideas so now the book club I run at the high school meets every Monday morning during their home room time (8:05-8:45 am). They have to sign up for the club (each month the school librarian starts a new sign up list) and their homeroom teacher dismisses them after attendance. The secretary announces it over the intercom during morning announcements also, in case teachers forget. We've just started a teen advisory council that formed out of this group. They meet the first and third Friday at the public library after school. There is a school bus that drops off at the library, so that helps get them here! 

Holly Evans said:

Hi Crystal,

Thanks,

Holly

Crystal Laiben said:

It always does... not many kids get off here, but they can.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service