This space is intended for the 2018 Teen Summer Intern grantees

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone.  I am the Children's/Youth Services Librarian at the Public Library of Silver City, New Mexico.  I have been here for two years.  Silver City is a small town of 10,000 people.  Our library is very important though because we are the only library in a 2 hour radius which offers computer instruction to its clientele.  Because of this we not only serve the rest of the county but also we get many patrons from the neighboring counties as well.

We were able to get a teen intern last year through funding from our library foundation and she was such a huge help.  With this grant we are hoping to have two interns for the summer.  We have a lot planned for the summer so it should be very busy and exciting.

Below I am including a picture of the library.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Hello everyone! I am a Youth, Teen, and Adult Librarian at the Bartlett Public Library District, Bartlett, IL. Bartlett is a village of about 40,000. My main focus in teens and I am in charge of the summer reading club volunteers (usually around 70-80 each summer). We have a very dedicated group of teens in the community who are frequently looking for more volunteer opportunities and who wish to help out with youth programming.

The Teen Intern Grant will allow us to offer drop-in craft and STEM/LEGO programs every week during the summer which we have not been able to offer because the staff is too busy over the summer. The teen interns will have a chance to create a challenge and craft each week and then present the programs under my supervision. One teen intern will also assist with a new Reader's Theater program. We are hoping to get nine teen interns for the summer! It will be a busy time but certainly one that I am looking forward to.

I am curious: has anyone done interviews before with their teens? What sorts of questions have you asked?

Hello all, I am the Teen Services Librarian at the Sioux Center Public Library in Sioux Center, Iowa. I have been here for about 1.5 years, Sioux Center is a small town of 7,500 people. Our Library serves a diverse community with 20.2% of the population Hispanic and 4.2% of other races. Below is a picture of our library as well! I'm very excited for this teen internship to give an opportunity to our teens to be a little bit more involved in the programming this summer.

I'm a excited but also new to Teen programming and this is the first time we have received the grant, so I am looking forward to it, but also open to any advice from those who have received this grant before. We hope to have the teens assist with our Summer Splash & Lego Clubs, and also possibly assist in planning a program alongside us and we plan to have 3 interns, Thanks!

library-sunset

Hi Abigail,

I'm attaching the questions we asked our intern candidates last year.  Questions%20for%20the%20Summer%20Intern%20Applicants.docx

Good luck this summer.

Chris

Abigail Weaver said:

Hello everyone! I am a Youth, Teen, and Adult Librarian at the Bartlett Public Library District, Bartlett, IL. Bartlett is a village of about 40,000. My main focus in teens and I am in charge of the summer reading club volunteers (usually around 70-80 each summer). We have a very dedicated group of teens in the community who are frequently looking for more volunteer opportunities and who wish to help out with youth programming.

The Teen Intern Grant will allow us to offer drop-in craft and STEM/LEGO programs every week during the summer which we have not been able to offer because the staff is too busy over the summer. The teen interns will have a chance to create a challenge and craft each week and then present the programs under my supervision. One teen intern will also assist with a new Reader's Theater program. We are hoping to get nine teen interns for the summer! It will be a busy time but certainly one that I am looking forward to.

I am curious: has anyone done interviews before with their teens? What sorts of questions have you asked?

Hi All,

I am the Head of Youth Services at the Jackson County Public Library in Indiana. We serve a rural county of approx. 35,000 and also draw from several neighboring counties, many of whose patrons are closer to us than their own libraries.

We are hiring two teen interns this summer to help us with our big events and in programming. We do a lot of STEAM programming and often need extra hands, espcially in the summer when our numbers swell appreciably. 

I am in the process of making the job posting and wasn't able to find the logo for the Dollar General Grant. Does anyone have access to this?

Hi Everyone! 

I am the Young Adult Services Librarian at North Shelby Library right outside of Birmingham, AL. We serve a suburban area with a service population of 50,000 but, as many of you, pull patrons from other municipalities. There are 13 public and private schools within 3 miles of our library.

We are hosting four interns to help with our STEAM programming and to plan one themselves. I've had a lot of interest so far and I am both looking forward to and dreading choosing who will make the cut.

Thank you Chris! These were really helpful when I was putting together the application and interview plan. The deadline for teens to apply is coming up soon, and I am excited to sort through the applications and start the interview process.

Chris Baumgarn said:

Hi Abigail,

I'm attaching the questions we asked our intern candidates last year.  Questions%20for%20the%20Summer%20Intern%20Applicants.docx

Good luck this summer.

Chris

Abigail Weaver said:

Thank you Chris! :)

Chris Baumgarn said:

Hi Abigail,

Good luck this summer.

Chris

Abigail Weaver said:

Hi to all!  I am a new branch head at our smallest urban library branch in Saginaw, Michigan and am excited to enhance our teen outreach with these grants!  

Attachments:

I can not believe that summer is finally here!

My name is Pam, and I am the Teen Librarian for the Defiance Public Library System in Defiance County, Ohio. There are three branches (four, if you include the express branch we have at our mall) within the system. I have been here for a little over five years now and this is the first time we will have three teen interns this summer (one for each location).

Right now we are in the interviewing/hiring phase and I am currently writing rejection letters. We have so many good candidates that it is hard to decide. These rejection letters are tough. Do any of you feel the same way?

Hi Everyone,

I am the Youth Services Librarian for Eastern Shore Public Library in Virginia. We have 2 branch libraries and 2 affiliate libraries serving a rural community including the counties of Accomack and Northampton. This is my second year as the first Youth Services Librarian for our library system and I am still learning something new every day.

We work hard to compensate for having a very small staff, so we were very excited to learn we had received the Teen Intern grant. We hired two teen interns this summer (one for each of our branch libraries) to help with all of our Summer Reading Program events, our Lunch at the Library programs, and our Garden Club at our Northampton Free Library in Nassawadox. Our Teen Interns are also tackling the task of helping to develop a new Teen Advisory Board. We are in the process of planning for a new regional library and want to include some input from our teen community.

Things are going very well so far. I do not know how I ever got along without their help last year!

Hi everyone! I am the Teen Services Librarian at the East New Orleans regional branch of the New Orleans Public Library. I've been at my library for two years. We hired two teen interns this summer thanks to the YALSA & Dollar General grant, and, like Janice--I don't know how I ever got along without them!

Both interns helped prepare for and run our summer reading programs. They also entered all of the summer reading sign ups for the branch into our tracking system. Finally, they helped with a variety of passive programs and displays around the children's and teen areas. This has been awesome, because one of my goals for the year was to help give teens ownership of the space--and there's no better way to do that than to pay teens to help create the space they want to see!

One of our interns has already finished her hours and received her stipend. The other is finishing up this week and is helping to prep some materials for fall already. We are in a neighborhood where there are not many (if any) job opportunities for teens, and I think it has been great for our community to see the library investing in teens. Our program attendance and teen volunteer applications have both increased this summer. We haven't faced any major challenges, though I am DEFINITELY glad I followed the advice to create a list of tasks for the teen interns and include way more work than you think is necessary--both of our interns finish things so quickly and it was helpful to create a to-do list in advance!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service