This space is intended for the 2018 Teen Summer Intern grantees

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Everyone!

I am a Youth Services & Programming Librarian at the Davenport Public Library and my duties include most of the teen programming and young adult book selection. We are a city of about 100,000 and part of a larger bi-state community of about 470,000. We have 3 library branches and I rotate between all three buildings but work about 75% at the Fairmount St. Library which is located closest to a high school, and thus gets the highest teen participation (although that is changing!)

We hired two interns this summer, a Creative Literacy Intern and a Social Media Intern. Both worked about 9 hours a week in the months of June & July and have completed their internships with us.

Our Creative Literacy intern helped create special displays to connect books with our summer programming, but her main focus was creating some artwork that promoted reading. She chose a location and a subject, did preliminary sketches, met with various administrators, made changes based on feedback, and completed two large paintings that will hang soon in the Children's area of our Eastern Ave. Library.

The Social Media intern worked as part of the Library's Social Media team (I serve as the Social Media Team Leader) and posted 1-2 items per day on a variety of our social accounts such as facebook, instagram, tumblr and twitter. She also attended a Team meeting and was able to help at several summer reading events.

I am thankful that both interns were great at working independently because we quickly found that with our busy summer reading schedules that we were unable to give them the mentoring that we had hoped. I hope to be able to offer a similar, but smaller scale internship next summer!

Hi everyone,

We've wrapped up our Summer Reading Program and our Teen Summer Intern program. With our $1,000 grant award, we were able to provide two teen interns a $500 stipend each for 50 hours of service at the Lafourche Parish Public Library's South Lafourche Branch.

Our library is in southeast Louisiana about an hour's drive from New Orleans. We're mostly rural, but have three incorporated towns, one each in the northern, central, and southern parts of our parish.

We decided to incorporate our teen intern program with an emerging STEAM program at our library. We implemented this STEAM program in February 2018, and it consists of STEAM kits -- with STEAM resources for multiple age groups -- that we circulate between our nine branches and three outreach locations (three area schools). We had some success with this program during the school year, during after-school hours and on Saturdays, and were confident that it would be an even bigger draw during the summer. It was.

After the interview process, our interns underwent STEAM training with our staff members and participated in many STEAM programs during the summer. They learned to use the STEAM resources and assisted staff members during STEAM programs throughout the summer in teaching children, teens, and their parents to use these resources.

They were a huge asset to our library, and we are very grateful to YALSA and the Dollar General Literacy Foundation for this grant award.

Katina Gaudet

Lafourche Parish Public Library - South Lafourche Branch

Reply to Discussion

RSS

YALSA Products & Publications

Why Are SLP's Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service